I love CARBS. I really do but I don’t feel so great when I eat too many of them so I have had to learn to sub out some carbs in attempts to add in more veggies! Since, I’m on a new program that’s easy to implement, and one of the principles is to make veggies the star, or the base of the meal. So, I’ve found delicious substitutes for these heavy carbohydrates, and in this recipe, used cauliflower rice in place of risotto rice. The addition of cheese wedges, gives it a zesty creaminess. I love serving this with shrimp but chicken, steak, sausage would all work too!
1 TBSP evoo
1 medium-sized shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 cup sliced baby portabello (cremini) mushrooms (optional)
1 (12-oz.) frozen cauliflower rice (approx. 4 cups) bag or fresh cauliflower rice
2 wedges spreadable cheese, broken into small pieces (.75-oz. ea.) like the kind from Laughing Cow
Chopped fresh chives (to taste; optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place oil in skillet along with shallots, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute on medium heat until shallots are translucent (about 3 mins).
2. Add cauliflower rice; saute until rice is thawed (if frozen) and tender (about 10-15 minutes).
3. Add cheese chunks and mix well, until cheese melts throughout.
4. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
5. Sprinkle with chives; mix well.
Again, I like with shrimp but you can mix and match. Don’t like mushrooms? Use asparagus, brussel sprouts or anything else you have on hand and like!