This week I am hosting a conference call for all of my Clean Week challengers. So many people can wake up and get through a workout but eating the correct amount of foods and healthy foods are the most difficult things for people to master. So, in an effort to ensure that everyone in my groups have all the tools they need to succeed I decided to hold this free call to share my advice on what has worked for me.
EAT CLEAN PRINCIPLES
1. Eat six small meals a day. Eat every two-and-a-half to three hours. I literally set the timer on my watch to remind me when to eat! Now that I have been doing it for so long my body just tells me that its time to eat! My husband always jokes that I eat non stop all day long! And I DO!!!
2. Eat breakfast everyday, within an hour of rising. So give or take when you exercise. I exercise first thing in the morning and I don’t eat before hand. I workout, drink my results and recovery drink, grab a shower and then make breakfast. I always have a warm glass of lemon water each morning as my wake up and detox! I squeeze 1/2 or a whole lemon into a glass of warm water. I make it a rule that I cannot eat my breakfast until I drink the entire glass of water.
3. Eat a combination of lean protein and complex carbohydrates at each meal. A lean protein would be your plain unsalted nuts, almond butter, all natural peanut butter, white meat such as chicken and fish. A complex carb is your fruits and veggies such as bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, tomoatoes just to name a few.
4. Eat sufficient (two or three servings) of healthy fats every day (evoo, avocado)
5. Drink two to three liters of water each day. I make this a MUST! If you want to lose weight then you must drink a lot of water each and everyday. If you do not drink enough water you body actually holds onto water weight. Drinking water speeds up your metabolism and helps you lose weight.
6. Carry a cooler packed with clean foods. I seriously cannot leave the house without my 31 cooler bag. Even if I am pretty certain that I am going to be home before my next snack or meal I still throw in an apple and a handful of unsalted almonds and a bottle of water. It is super easy to throw in a packet of shakeology and your shaker cup. Then you are never left scrounging for a meal or a drive through to go to. you always have a healthy snack or meal to hold you over!
7. Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, nutrients and enzymes. Limit your starchy complex carbs to two to four servings each day. I suggest not relying to heavily on juices. I would aim to get your servings of fruits and veggies each day from actulaly eating them. This way you get the added fiber from the skins of the fruits! Juices more often than not have added sugars and additives that our bodies do not need.
8. Adhere to proper portion sizes. I love my kitchen scale for this!
TOP 10 THINGS TO AVOID
1. Sugar, white flour and over processed foods. Bread at the bread table when you are out to eat. Especially when I was trying to lose the weight I would avoid bread at all costs. I even avoided ezekiel bread or most starchy carbs.
2. Artificial sugars- NO STEVIA OR EQUAL OR SWEET N LOW ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU! I recommend Agave nectar and honey if you need to sweeten something. Even then I still think you should use it sparingly. Again, sugar is addictive and the more you have the more your body will crave it!
3. Sugar-loaded beverages such as soda and juice- NONE, ZILCH ZERO!!
4. Super sizing your meals or portions- If you are at a restaurant always ask for a box and take half of it home! Restaurants are known for their oversized portions. Even if it’s a healthy meal that does not give you permission to throw your rules out the window! You can eat the right kinds of foods and have to much and still not see results.
5. Alcohol, try your best to limit. My rule of thumb is for every alcoholic drink that you consume you must have 1 full glass of water!
Alcohol is full of sugar and empty calories so you need to ask yourself, is this short term sacrifice of drinking worth the long term results of me feeling amazing in my body and having the confidence to put myself out there!
6. Chemically charged foods- So this mean smart ones, lean cuisines or any other processed meals. Take a look at the labels on your food. If there are more than 3 ingredients and you don’t understand what they are then you probably shouldn’t buy it!
7. Foods containing preservatives
8. Artificial foods such as processed cheese slices- I very rarely eat a piece of cheese. I tend to choose feta cheese if I go that route! Once again your body holds onto bad fats!
9. Saturated and trans fats
10. Anti foods, calorie dense foods with no nutritional value.
TOP 5 WAYS TO MAKE EATING CLEAN EASIER FOR YOU
1. Pack a cooler everyday
2. Carry a water bottle everywhere
3. Make a shopping list and stick to it- I grocery shop for 2 weeks at a time. I sit down with my white board, grocery list and recipes and plan out my meals so that my entire family can follow the same eating schedule. It works and we are all happy!
4. Prepare planned leftovers
5. Keep your pantry stocked with staples. Staples in my pantry are plain unsalted rice cakes, all natural peanut butter, almonds, cashews, raisins, flaxseed, and olive oil! If I run out of fresh fruits and veggies I turn to rice cakes with peanut butter and raisins!
TOP FIVE EXERCISE TIPS
1. Set realistic goals for yourself-weekly, monthly and yearly.
2. Train all of your major muscle groups, arms shoulders, chest, back, legs and abs.
3. Challenge yourself-vary your routine every few weeks.
4. Keep cardio fun-trynew activities
5. Stay focused-put your mind into your muscle.
EATING OUT TIPS
Garden fresh salad with warm crispy chicken and balsamic vinaigrette and water.
McDonalds chicken fajita, apple slices without Carmel dipping sauce and water
Burger King flame broiled hamburger and BK side salad with no croutons or dressing and water.
Wendy’s home style chicken go wrap, plain baked potato and water
Subway 6 inch turkey breast or ham sub, apple slices and water. No dressing or cheese on sandwich!
If you would like more information on how you can transform your lifestyle with eating clean please message me at email@example.com or go to www.CoachAnnika.com and create a free account and together we can reach your health and fitness goals one day at a time!
Remember nothing is an exact 1 size fits all,make this work for YOU!