What I learned from John C. Maxwell….
A few weekends ago I had the opportunity to attend Beachbody Summit, which is their annual conference. John C. Maxwell was the main speaker and I was really excited. I hadn’t really heard or read much of his teachings but everyone else had built the hype up. And boy they were right. This guy is amazing and SO FUNNY too. He’s a great speaker and really helped nail down some great points to help each individual grow (personally and professionally). I wanted to share with you all a little about what I learned from him. I know this is a lot of words, but I hope when you read this you will learn something about yourself and how to improve your life.
(These tips are from his book 15 Laws of Growth, you can purchase it from the link if interested)
What would help you be successful? You first must ask yourself, what are you doing to develop yourself and what are you doing to develop others?
1. Law of Intentionality
- Growth doesn’t just happen, it’s not automatic
- We go through life thinking we will grow automatically
- We need to be intentional in the things we do in order to grow personally
- We can’t control the outside, we can control and fit the inside
- Instead of paying our kids for doing chores (what they should be doing for free), pay them by reading personal development books. It will benefit them so much more in the long run.
2. Law of the Mirror
- See value in yourself and add value to yourself
- If you don’t, you won’t bet on yourself
- If you see yourself as a person of worth, you will bet on yourself
- Everyday you add value to someone else (look at the seeds you sow, don’t focus on the harvest)
- Everyday, do the right thing even when it’s the hard one
- You must know yourself to grow yourself
- What are your strengths – (In your DNA, ability). You have to work on your strengths, not your weaknesses, or you will just be average at everything. This growth will be slow
- People don’t pay for average
- Only work on your weaknesses in area of choices (discpline, attitude) This grown will be fast
- Motivation get you doing, discipline gets you growing
- CONSISTENCY WINS THE DAY!
- Nobody becomes great at anything until they do it 10,000 times
- You don’t need to be good the first time, you just need a first time
- The only way you will be GREAT at anything, is to be CONSISTENT with something
Go at it 5 times EVERY day and eventually it will get conquered. Do little things everyday instead of huge things.
5. Law of Environment
- Growth thrives in condusive surroundings
- Good growth environment:
- Where others are ahead of me (smarter, more sucessful) (Be around people that will challenge you)
- Where I am challenge (climb the mountain)
- Atmosphere is encouraging
- Our of your comfort-zone
- Wake up Excited – love what you do
- Failure is not your enemy
- Others are growing
- People desire change
- Growth is modeled
These are just 5 of his 15 laws laid out in his book. I can’t wait to read the book and learn more!!!